You’re in the middle of the most frigid week of winter and you wake up trembling in a pile of blankets in bed. The first thought to go through your head is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to find yourself in a predicament like this where it feels like you’re predestined to suffer until morning to arrange furnace repair, but there are a couple things you can take a look at, as well as a few things you can do, to stay on your toes and prepare for a scenario like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Cold nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you avert a chilly predicament.
- Pull together supplies. Set aside some room in a closet, drawer or another easily accessible area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you warm while your furnace isn’t running. It could seem inconvenient or unnecessary now, but it will be a relief when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Working:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace could have been tripped by a power surge or for another reason. If this happens, turn the breaker back on and you may be set. If the breaker is tripped and you have switched it back on but your furnace still isn’t working, give us a call to schedule an appointment for furnace repair.
- Add layers and get cozy. That handful of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you keep your body heat so you can stay warm while waiting for your technician. Also, try to find something to do to keep your blood pumping, as elevated activity can help keep you comfortable.
- Stay safe. Utilizing something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose potential danger depending on the method you’re going with. It’s important to remember to never choose heating methods developed for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use a secondary method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your safest options.
No one wants to put up with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has gone out, but the opportunity is real if you don’t take the proper steps. Give the team at TopTec Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical a call at 847-362-0262 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services available or any other number of heating questions.