Typically, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Dependent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, whether or not you have pets, and how often your air filter has been swapped out, to name a handful—you may adjust your air duct cleaning
more or less frequently. So, how can you know for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are absolutely some telltale signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a blockage within your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers carrying out dust?
- When you check inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
- Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have not as much airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s more than likely time to ask TopTec Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical in Libertyville about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are some things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and lengthen the period of time between professional cleanings.
Above all, arrange routine HVAC maintenance with the experts at TopTec Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical. A tune-up of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should consist of inspection, and possible replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system functioning efficiently, and will help keep your ducts clean.
You can also chat with the team at TopTec Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical about installing an air purification system. We provide the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other steps you can take include:
- Regularly dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Examining your air filters habitually and replacing them when the manufacturer recommends changing them. Most filters will present dust on them after a short period in service, but they may not demand exchanging.
- Sealing seepages in air ducts that allow dust to come in from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or impaired air-duct insulation.
With an expert air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your Libertyville home clean and healthy. Give the professionals at TopTec Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical a call at 847-362-0262.