As the heat increases, so does your energy expenses. To keep your air conditioning bills down you may be thinking, is it cheaper to leave your AC on all day in the summer in Libertyville?
It’s a widespread belief that turning your AC unit on and off throughout the day is a waste of energy. This is actually a misconception.
Keeping your AC running all day means you’re not using it very efficiently. We recommend setting your thermostat higher when you’re elsewhere, and turning it back down when you come home. You can accomplish this with a programmable thermostat. Or, a smart thermostat can do the job for you.
It’s far more work for your system to achieve the same temp throughout the day. It can also result in a lot of strain on your system, since it’s repeatedly turning on and off.
So, on top of it increasing your energy bills, it might also cause a shorter life cycle for your AC.
No matter what, the greater the difference between your indoor temperature and the outside temperature, the higher your air conditioning expenses will be. So, what can you do to remain cool and keep your electric bills low in the summer? Here are our suggestions based on recommendations from the U.S Department of Energy (DOE) and ENERGY STAR®.
Six Ways to Enhance Your Air Conditioner’s Energy Efficiency
- Modify Your Thermostat. The DOE affirms that you can conserve up to 10% annually on heating and cooling by increasing your thermostat 7-10 degrees during the time you’re out of the house. Through the summer, it’s suggested to set your thermostat at 78 degrees when you’re home and 88 degrees when you’re away. It’s additionally important to avoid setting your thermostat to a cooler setting than usual when you turn on your AC unit. This doesn’t actually cool down your house any quicker, it just results in bigger electric bills. While these temperatures may appear toasty, there are many methods to keep comfortable without having to always run the AC.
- Use Fans, Curtains and Blinds. ENERGY STAR says turning up the thermostat by just 2 degrees and using your ceiling fan can lessen air conditioning costs by up to 14% over the course of the cooling season. It’s important to be mindful that that fans cool people, not areas. So, when you exit the room, turn the fan off to save energy. Furthermore, keeping blinds down and curtains closed throughout the day helps keep conditioned air inside. There are also some window treatments designed to deliver added insulation and increase energy efficiency.
- Effectively Seal All Doors, Windows and Openings. Leaky openings throughout a house allow for conditioned air to rapidly escape and warm air to get inside. This could lead to your AC equipment having to work harder to keep your home comfortable and your utility bills to increase. Check that any openings, doors and windows are properly sealed. Caulking or weather-stripping are quick fixes for leaks or drafts near windows and doors.
- Schedule Annual Maintenance. Scheduling air conditioner maintenance assures that your unit is always running at its most efficient. This lets our experts to locate little issues before they turn into serious dilemmas. A well-kept air conditioner is typically more efficient and can even last for a longer period of time.
- Invest in a Smart Thermostat. One of the best methods to assure comfort and energy savings is with a smart thermostat. This thermostat intuitively adjusts the temperature based on your day-to-day schedule. It works along with your smartphone to see when you’re at your house or out to enhance your energy efficiency. In fact, ENERGY STAR states that a smart thermostat could potentially save you about $180 per year on energy costs.
- Consider Replacing Your AC Unit. You can figure a properly maintained AC unit to live for 15-20 years. But if you’re frequently calling us for air conditioning repair or your AC bills are climbing with no change in thermostat settings, it could be time for an upgrade. We supply many energy-efficient air conditioners, like ENERGY STAR models that can help you save more on cooling without trading comfort.
Increase Your Residence’s Energy Efficiency with TopTec
No one wants to see their energy bill climb during the warm months. If you’re looking for more ways to keep your energy usage and bills lower this summer, our pros can help. Give us a call at 847-362-0262 or contact us online today for additional information.