They say knowledge is power, and that’s undoubtedly the truth when discussing your air conditioner. While challenging repairs are best left to experts, it’s helpful to have a basic understanding of your air conditioner and how to solve general AC issues.
Knowing how your AC works and the frequent problems it faces will allow you to deal with easy problems without needing to call an HVAC specialist every time. This not only saves you cash on minor service calls, but knowing when to reach out to a professional can help prevent small issues from escalating into complex repairs.
Your Air conditioning unit is a fundamental element of your home comfort. Because of that, you should always err on the side of caution and call a NATE-certified technician for air conditioning repair in Libertyville if you're not sure about any aspect of your air conditioner's operation or maintenance.
Here are some typical questions people ask our experts about their air conditioners:
1. How Do I Clean an Air Conditioner?
Cleaning an air conditioner is a good way to make sure it operates efficiently, and potentially could extend the life of your unit.
The most effective step you can take on your own is to replace the air filter in your air conditioner. The filter captures dust, pollen, pet hair and other debris, and removes those particulates from the air circulating inside your home. If your AC filter becomes clogged, the air conditioner has to work harder than it ought to in order to force air through the filter. A clean filter catches the airborne debris while still allowing air to flow freely through the system.
Replacement filters can be purchased at most leading home improvement stores, hardware stores or can be ordered from your local HVAC professional. A good way to make sure you get the right filter is to look at your old one before you head out for the store, jotting down the size of the filter. If you’re not familiar with filters, it’s also helpful to note the filtration level of the current filter if you are wanting to buy something similar.
For thorough service of your air conditioner, contact the experienced professionals like the crew at TopTec to do routine maintenance on your AC. They’ll inspect your system, clean or lubricate parts that need cleaning and look for worn-out parts and potential trouble.
2. How Do I Clean Air Conditioner Coils?
In addition to making sure your indoor air conditioner equipment is operating efficiently, it’s important to tend to your outdoor unit. Cleaning the coils on the exterior unit of your air conditioner is an easy way to improve its efficiency and can extend the life of your entire system.
The coils, which have extensions called fins, are used to release heat from the refrigerant into the cooler air outside. This brings down the temperature of the refrigerant, which then goes back in your home so it can soak up more heat from the air within your home. Cleaning the fins and the coils can help them release heat more easily.
To clean your air conditioner’s fins and coil:
1) First, shut off power to the outdoor unit. It’s best to flip the power switch off, instead of turning the thermostat off.
2) Lift off the top of the outdoor AC so you can reach the inside of the unit. Then, taking care not to stress any cords or attachments, safely set the top to the side.
3) Put a cleaning solution on the fins, starting at the top and moving down. Commercial coil cleaners are sold and commonly found in both the canned aerosol spray from as well as in the form of foaming solutions that are sprayed on with an attachment to your garden hose.
4) Follow directions on the product to apply. For most products, it's advised that you spray the product on, let the cleaner soak in for a brief period of time to attack the grime and then softly spray it off with a garden hose. Be cautious not to spray too hard, because that could harm the coils or fins!
5) Secure the top back on the unit and then wait for the coils and fins to dry before turning it back on.
3. How Long Do Air Conditioners Last?
The life span of an air conditioner depends on the type of unit, its quality, if maintained and how frequently it's used. Having said that, industry experts say you should start looking into air conditioner replacement after about 12-15 years.
One of the best ways to make the most of your system is through regular conditioner maintenance. Tuneups from TopTec consists of cleaning and inspecting the machinery, as well as replacing the filter and fixing any worn-out or broken parts. To keep your unit operating a long time, call us today to schedule air conditioning maintenance in Libertyville.
4. What Size Air Conditioner Do I Need?
Finding the proper size of air conditioner for your home is critical for keeping comfort and efficiency. Here are some elements to consider when deciding what size air conditioner is right for your home:
- Square footage: The size of the space you have to cool is one of the most important factors. Bigger spaces demand more cooling power.
- Home insulation: Well-insulated homes retain cool air better, which could minimize your cooling needs.
- Climate: If you live in a hotter climate, you'll need a more powerful air conditioner compared to a homeowner living in a cooler environment.
- Number of windows: Windows frequently let in heat, especially when they're south-facing or not well-insulated.
- Number of people: More people in the house produce more body heat, which may affect your cooling needs.
- Present HVAC system: The size and performance of your current system can provide a place to start for determining what you need.
Due to the fact the size of your air conditioner is so essential to your home’s comfort, you will likely want a professional opinion. At TopTec, we take the time to fully understand your family’s lifestyle, comfort needs and the many other factors such as your home’s layout and size. This attention to detail and focus on customer service is why TopTec is known for excellent air conditioning installation in Libertyville.
5. How Much Does an Air Conditioner Cost?
While prices vary depending on the brand of the unit and your home’s unique needs, a new air conditioner generally costs between $5,000 and $12,500 to purchase and install. The good thing is that new air conditioners are designed to be extremely efficient, so they do more with less power when compared to older units.
The price of an air conditioner is impacted by several factors during the manufacturing process, such as the cost and availability of raw materials, manufacturing and labor costs along with federal regulations that can impact the design.
Know these are average costs and prices can fluctuate. It's always helpful to get at least a few quotes from trustworthy HVAC companies before making a choice. If you’re considering air conditioning replacement in Libertyville, get in touch with TopTec. We will provide you with a no-cost estimate, make sure you understand the procedure and help connect you with available rebates or discounts.
6. What Causes an Air Conditioner to Freeze Up?
Air conditioning freezing up can be brought on by multiple factors, all of which boil down to the failure of your system to efficiently transfer heat. If your air conditioner is having issues causing it to freeze up, it is more than likely time for air conditioning repair.
Here are some frequent causes of AC freezing up:
- Insufficient airflow: If the air isn't flowing properly through your AC system, it can't properly absorb heat. This could be due to a dirty air filter, something stopping air from flowing through the return air ducts or a failing fan.
- Low refrigerant levels: If your air conditioner is starting to get low on refrigerant, it can grow too cold and freeze up. This is usually because of leaking in the refrigerant lines.
- Very Chilly outdoor temperatures: Operating the air conditioner when it's really cold outside can cause the system to freeze. The majority of units aren't designed to perform in temperatures below 60 degrees Fahrenheit (15 degrees Celsius).
- Mechanical failures: Broken thermostats, damaged blower motors and issues with the relay or control board can all play a role in an AC unit freezing up.
TopTec is the Trusted Source for Air Conditioning Service in Libertyville.
At TopTec, we are focusing on making your home a comfortable and pleasant place. Our experienced professionals are up-to-date on the latest industry training and trends, and are knowledgeable on a wide variety of systems. That’s why community members make us the premier choice for air conditioning repair in Libertyville and neighboring cities.
If you’re planning to upgrade or its time for a new unit, we’ve got you covered there too, with our first-rate air conditioning installation in Libertyville. No matter what, we can help you solve your cooling issues!
Contact TopTec today at 847-362-0262 to schedule an appointment or free estimate!