Everyone has to deal with a clogged drain at one time or another. It’s a common if not frustrating problem that can appear anywhere in your plumbing. Depending on where, you might not recognize how serious a clog is. It can make it tougher to know when it’s time to get a plumber in Libertyville.
You may be able to determine for yourself how bad the clog is. Check your drains or listen for unusual sounds coming from your pipes. These might be signs pointing to where the clog started. When you find it, you’ll have to figure out if you should call a plumber or not. The following info may help you decide.
When Does a Clog Need a Pro Plumber?
There are a variety of things that affect the seriousness of a clog in the plumbing. The info you have about a potential clog could lead a TopTec Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical plumber to its source faster.
- Where is it? One of the most important aspects of a clog is where in your plumbing it appeared. Most of your home’s pipes are in difficult-to-access places like behind walls and under floors. Some clogs may need specialized equipment to reach in the first place.
- Can water flow? If the pipes are still draining, you may be able to remove the clog on your own. But if a fixture or appliance is totally backed up, it’s usually safer for a licensed plumber to take a look.
- What created the clog? Some substances can have a more serious effect on your plumbing. Simple organic waste like coffee or hair is unpleasant but typically easy to flush out on your own. Other materials like sewage can be much more complicated (and maybe even risky). Taking care of these clogs will need more steps and the experience of a pro.
Where Can Clogs Form in My Plumbing System?
Unfortunately, there aren’t many places in your plumbing clogs can’t form. We use our plumbing for so many tasks like cleaning, cooking and laundry. A clog can form near the appliances and fixtures we use or within the pipes themselves.
- Bathroom Clogs: Your toilet, sink and shower can all clog. If your bathroom drain is clogged, the culprit is typically hair. Taking care of a clogged sink drain, clogged tub drain or clogged shower drain can be as easy as pulling the extra hair out. It’s fast, if a little gross. Other times, a hair-clogged drain can result in a clogged drain deep in the pipe. In this instance, you may need professional help.
- Kitchen Clogs: Your kitchen sink and dishwasher are the most common places for a clog to form. Is your kitchen drain clogged? Use the garbage disposal properly to ensure food waste doesn’t collect. But if the disposal itself is clogged, don’t reach into it! The blades can result in injury.
- Laundry and Clogs. Plumbing near the washing machine can clog, particularly if lint traps aren’t working like they should. Other washing machine clogs can be a result of laundry soap and grease stains on clothes.
How to Clear a Clogged Drain
If it’s a little clog, you may be able to tackle the problem without professional help. Unclogging doesn’t always need special equipment. In fact, sometimes it’s as simple as grabbing the plunger. Here are a few tips for DIY drain maintenance!
- Mesh or mindfulness goes a long way. Using mesh filters or other traps for sink drains can keep foreign materials out of your plumbing. Keep an eye on what you’re bringing to your kitchen or bathroom sink. If it’s something that can clog, try to safely break it down.
- Know what shouldn’t be flushed. Things like baby wipes, cooking grease and potato peels aren’t supposed to be put in the drain. Dispose of them properly to keep your plumbing in the best possible condition.
- Always try your trusty plunger. Even if a leak seems bad, your plunger is a simple and effective tool. Give your plunger a go before you call for professional help.
- Other home remedies can help. Did you know there’s a clogged drain home remedy? You can try to flush your drain with baking soda and vinegar. We don’t advise using store-bought liquid drain openers, since these toxic chemicals can negatively affect your pipes.
Tried these tips but still have a problem? Call us at 847-362-0262 for prompt and affordable drain cleaning in Libertyville.
Call TopTec Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical for Fast and Effective Plumbers in Libertyville
Keeping your home’s plumbing in good condition is important to everyone at TopTec Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical. Our plumbers are devoted to providing you with the best plumbing service in Libertyville. If you need quality drain cleaning services, we’ve got you covered.
We have the tools and training to get the job done right. For pro plumbing services, call TopTec Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical today. Get in touch to request more info or to schedule an appointment. Call us today at 847-362-0262!