Call it Murphy’s Law, or maybe just a little unluckiness, but we sometimes see heat pump problems in Libertyville during the cooler months, when they’re necessary to keep you toasty. While you know the team at TopTec Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical will forever be there ASAP when you require us for a heat pump repair, there are some things you can do to double check a repair is needed and save yourself some expenses if it’s not. We’ve compiled this checklist of things to attempt before you give us a call.
- It may sound silly, but make sure everything is switched “on”. We’ve been to more than a few calls only to discover the thermostat or the heat pump itself is turned off.
If the heat pump still hasn’t turned on, return to your thermostat.
- Is the thermostat set to heat? If yes, raise the temperature by five degrees to check if it turns on.
- If everything looks right, test your heat pump switch (if it has one) and check the fuses and circuit breaker that protect the extra heating element (if it has one).
Is a blockage causing your heat pump to fail?
- Try swapping the battery, if it has one.
- Examine your air filters inside your air handler to ensure they’re not jamming things up.
- Are your room heating registers open and unobstructed?
If you’ve moved through this checklist and you still need a heat pump fix, call TopTec Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical at 847-362-0262 and we’ll get your home back to the warm and cozy place you expect this time of year.