Whenever your gas furnace is on, carbon monoxide is being formed. However, there is no need to worry. It is a natural by-product of the fuel-burning process. As long as your furnace is operating properly, it is carefully deposited outside your home. Carbon monoxide is stored inside your furnace’s heat exchanger until it is safely forced through the flue vent to the outdoors. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a result of a malfunctioning gas furnace.
Taking in too much carbon monoxide prevents the body from using oxygen and can hurt the central nervous system and heart. While carbon monoxide poisoning can affect anyone exposed to the gas, it is more risky for people with existing lung or heart diseases, pregnant woman, infants and children. Here are some tips to ease your mine mind and preserve a healthy, comfortable and safe home.
1. Invest in carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can’t be detected by humans. Without a detector, it’s almost impossible to know carbon monoxide is building up in your home. You may not know until someone starts showing symptoms of poisoning. Put carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home, ideally near bedrooms, to be alerted to rising levels before anyone gets sick.
2. Be sure your gas furnace was installed properly. If your gas furnace wasn’t installed by professionals, you should have it checked. The experts at TopTec Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical can make sure your blower motor is installed correctly and that there are no flaws in your ductwork design. Carbon monoxide can accrue if there are problems in those spaces.
3. Schedule annual maintenance. Routine maintenance is the best way to prevent carbon monoxide leaks from your gas furnace. During a yearly tune-up, the professionals will clean your system and examine it for malfunctions or problems. It’s also a good idea to have any other gas-, coal- or oil-burning appliances professionally monitored as well.
4. Keep your air filter clean. A blockage of airflow caused by a dusty filter can cause carbon monoxide to leak out of your system. Set a reminder on your phone or mark your calendar to regularly check your air filter and clean or change it per the manufacturer’s instruction.
5. Always count on professionals to service your gas furnace and other fuel-burning appliances.
Carbon monoxide can be very dangerous, but you can have peace of mind by taking a few safeguards. You’ll always have the pros at TopTec Heating, Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical in Libertyville around to help, too. Give us a call at 847-362-0262 if you have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide or your gas furnace. You can also schedule an appointment using our online scheduler.